Flurbiprofen helps to reduce inflammation and to reduce pain. By reducing inflammation in conditions affecting muscles and joints Flurbiprofen helps to improve movement.
Flurbiprofen works by blocking the production of some of the body chemicals that cause inflammation, pain, stiffness, tenderness, swelling and increased temperature.
Flurbiprofen medicine should be taken with or after food.
Everyone's reaction to a medicine is different. It is difficult to predict which side-effects you will have from taking a particular medicine, or whether you will have any side-effects at all. The important thing is to tell your prescriber or pharmacist if you are having problems with your medicine.
The frequency of these side-effects is unknown:
- Blood and bone marrow problems
- Breathing problems - seek immediate medical advice if you have breathing difficulties, bronchospasm, an asthma attack or if your asthma becomes worse
- Changes in blood clotting time
- Connective tissue problems
- Eye or eyesight problems
- Feeling dizzy
- Feeling drowsy
- Fluid retention
- Gastrointestinal ulcers or gastrointestinal bleeding - these may be fatal. Seek medical advice if you have melaena, blood in vomit or diarrhoea or if you have any other unusual stomach problems
- General feeling of being unwell
- Heart attack or stroke when taken at high doses for a long time
- Heart problems
- Impaired fertility in females
- Inflammation of the mouth
- Kidney problems
- Liver problems
- Meningitis or meningitis-like symptoms such as fever, feelings of disorientation or a stiff neck
- Photosensitivity skin reaction
- Raised blood pressure
- Skin or hypersensitivity problems such as dermatitis, Stevens-Johnsons syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme, anaphylaxis, urticaria, itching, unexplained or easy bruising of the skin or mucous membranes, angioedema or allergic reactions - some of these can be fatal. Seek immediate medical advice if you have skin rash, lesions or any other sign of hypersensitivity
- Stomach pain
- Worsening of Crohn's disease
- Worsening of ulcerative colitis
The patient information leaflet (PIL) is a leaflet containing specific information about medical conditions, doses and side effects. You can download a copy of the PIL here:
Patient Info Leaflet